Web www.cincinnatirestaurantreview.blogspot.com

Cincinnati Restaurant Reviews

Cincinnati cuisine is so much more than chili. There are great restaurants in town that will provide you with exceptional food in a wonderful atmosphere. This blog is a collection of reviews and personal observations from the current Cincinnati dining scene.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Guido's in Mt. Adams

I committed foodie sin last week. I had dinner two nights in a row in the same restaurant. Not only that, but I didn't enjoy eating there the first time!

The restaurant in question is Guido's, an Italian eatery crossed with a sports bar on St. Gregory in Mt. Adams. Not feeling very adventurous on either Thursday or Friday, I went with the pizza. Both times the pizza was split half cheese, half meat.

Some people would complain about Domino's not having a distinguishable taste--a bland pizza. Well, compared to Guido's, Domino's offers a world of flavor. I felt like I could actually taste the flour in the crust. It seriously needed some salt or something to add to the flavor. But how can you have a good pizza when the most distinguishing taste is flour?

Of course, this is pizza, and the sex rule applies: Even when it's not that good, it's still good. And the second night I was there, one of my dining companions actually said, "I like the crust." I almost spit the pizza out of my mouth.

I also tried the garlic fries and the asparagus frites. The garlic fries were a poor excuse for a true garlic fry; they would have been ridden out of the city of Gilroy, California on a rail. But the asparagus frites were worth the price of admission by themselves.

Now, I'm probably being too harsh on Guido's. With a name like that, it's probably not trying to be the paragon of Italian American culinary pride. It's great to come in after having some drinks somewhere else on the Hill and top off the night with a couple of slices. And it's a great atmosphere for that as well, with a 60 HD TV.

So Guido's keeps things lowkey and simple, and they do it very well.

Definitely go there if you're looking for a place to grab a bite and a drink with some friends. And order the asparagus frites.

Don't go there is you're looking for a great slice of pizza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web www.cincinnatirestaurantreview.blogspot.com